Adjacent to the One Planet Summit organized in Paris, Amundi, the largest European Asset Manager with 1.4 trillion euros of assets under management(1) announces that the fund Amundi Planet – Emerging Green One(2) is of great interest to investors: more than $1.2bn have already been committed.
The fund results from a partnership with IFC (a member of the World Bank Group) and is dedicated to investing in green bonds issued by financial institutions active in emerging markets. Launched last October 2017, this Luxembourg domiciled fund(3) received substantial attention by a range of investors throughout its fundraising campaign. Pension funds, insurance companies, asset managers, international development banks, and other state entities from all around the world marked interests including Sweden as a key country of interest. The book building period is set to close in February, 2018.
Amundi Planet – Emerging Green One aims to deepen local capital markets and expand financing for climate investments.
This unique project is marked with several milestones:
- A unique project by size and focus:
- Current commitments make Amundi Planet – Emerging Green One the largest bond fund with objective to invest in green bonds to be launched, outsizing the current largest fund by a multiple of at least 3(4);
- This will be the first green bond fund ever solely focused on emerging markets, fostering the development of green projects where it is most needed;
- In line with IFC mandate to encourage private sector development, this will be the first fund ever focused on supporting green bond issuance by private sector financial institutions;
- Initiated by IFC, this will be the first comprehensive program ever dedicated to green bonds combining a demand and a supply mechanism
- A unique realization in public-private partnerships:
- The new platform has been successful in crowding in capital from developed markets institutional investors to flow into emerging markets, with many subscribers investing through the fund for the first time in emerging market debt.
- Investors’ positive reception constitute a proof that pragmatic approaches to leveraging institutional investors capital to support Development Financial Institutions Goals, can work
- Unique cooperation between Development Finance Institutions and ‘conventional’ investors of that magnitude, providing the potential for a unique forum to make progress towards the development of investment solutions supporting Sustainable Development Goals.
Philippe Le Houérou, IFC CEO declares: “IFC has been a pioneer in developing the green bond market, and with Amundi we are now on track to create the first and largest global bond fund designed to invest in emerging market green bonds issued by financial institutions.
This innovative new approach will help create markets for green bonds in emerging markets, addressing demand by crowding-in new sources of capital to fund climate projects, and do so at scale. IFC’s advisory work with its global network of financial intermediaries will help boost the supply of green bonds, through capacity building to prepare to issue green bonds and support to identify and measure green investments.”
Yves Perrier, CEO of Amundi, says: “Amundi is honoured to have been selected by IFC for the management of such an innovative and large investment solution. It leverages Amundi’s expertise in emerging market debt. Our goal is to help investors to take into account more and more ESG and climate change factors in their investment portfolios. Amundi reinforces its worldwide positioning and its leadership in ESG approach.”
1. Amundi figures as of September 30, 2017. 2. Previously named Green Cornerstone Bond Fund. 3. The fund is registered for sale in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Poland, Netherlands, Sweden and the United Kingdom.4. Source: Morningstar Direct Sept-17 /* new positioning of an existing bond fund / **« Transition Energétique et Ecologique pour le Climat » Label launched in Jul-15. Category : green bond funds4. following the COP-21.4.
This document is solely for the attention of journalists and professionals of the press/media sector. The information contained herein concerning Amundi Planet – Emerging Green One reflects among other their status of registration and/or authorization for sale to the public in different countries. The information is given solely in order to provide journalists and professionals of the press/media sector with an overview Amundi Planet – Emerging Green One and irrespective of the use of same which falls within their sole editorial independence and for which Amundi assumes no responsibility.
Washington, District de Columbia, États-Unis, April 21, 2017
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, and Amundi, a leading European Asset Manager, today agreed to create the largest green-bond fund dedicated to emerging markets—a $2 billion init [...]
Amundi, the leading European asset manager, ranking among the top 10 global players, offers its 100 million clients - retail, institutional and corporate - a complete range of savings and investment solutions in active and passive management, in traditional or real assets.
With its six international investment hubs, financial and extra-financial research capabilities and long-standing commitment to responsible investment, Amundi is a key player in the asset management landscape.
Amundi clients benefit from the expertise and advice of 5,300 employees in more than 35 countries. A subsidiary of the Crédit Agricole group and listed on the stock exchange, Amundi currently manages more than €2.0 trillion of assets.
Amundi, a trusted partner, working every day in the interest of its clients and society
- Source: IPE “Top 500 Asset Managers” published in June 2021, based on assets under management as at 31/12/2020
- Boston, Dublin, London, Milan, Paris and Tokyo
- Consolidated internal Amundi and Lyxor workforce as at 01/01/2022
- Amundi data including Lyxor as at 31/12/2021